On Sun, Dec 1, 2013 at 7:51 AM, Rory O'Farrell <ofarr...@iol.ie> wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Dec 2013 13:43:12 +0100
> Guy Waterval <waterval....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Hagar,
>>

>> 2013/12/1 Hagar Delest <hagar.del...@laposte.net>
>>
>> > Le 30/11/2013 23:15, Rob Weir a écrit :
>> >
>> >  In any case, the thing to keep in mind is that we are in no way
>> >>

>> > The problem is that they tend to diminish the work done by AOO.
>> > It's like a hold-up...
>> > The end user only see what's on the splash screen and how the icons look
>> > like in his file explorer. So less and less visibility will equal the death
>> > of AOO in users mind.
>>

>>  Yes, but doing so, they also discredit themselves and show clearly their
>> incoherences.
>> Difficult to be considered as serious when you announce the dead of a
>> projetct and after some months you recognize that you reuse massively  its
>> code.
>>
>> A+
>> --
>> gw
>
> Unfortunately, the ordinary computer user has no idea of the base of
> underlying code or of its source. He is only aware of the title of the
> package he uses, and this dominates perception.

True.  But what are the facts?   Our download numbers show that there
are relatively few Linux downloads.  We have more AOO Windows users in
Poland than Linux users worldwide.  And industry estimates are that
Linux desktop user share is around 2%.  We even see diminished
investment in the Linux desktop.  As you know, Suse pulled out of
LibreOffice.  They are more interested in Linux on the server.  Other
companies see the opportunity more with tablet and mobile Linux.
Linux desktop is shrinking. Or, as some would say.  If we really want
to worry about getting more AOO users I think we'd achieve more with a
Hindi or a Bahasa Indonesian translation than we would with getting a
Linux version packaged with the distros.

(Note:  I think we should continue Linux support.  As a project AOO
supports diversity, of languages and well as platforms.  Just because
there are relatively few Linux desktop users does not mean we don't
support them.)

As far as brand perceptions go, the data I have shows that the
OpenOffice brand is increasing, and is far stronger than the
LibreOffice brand [1].  In fact, some LibreOffice supporters interpret
these numbers as indicating that many LibreOffice users mistakenly
think that they are still using OpenOffice and refer to it as
"OpenOffice".  That just goes to show that we have some brand
perception paranoia on both sides!

Finally, the take away from the brand perception survey is that most
people have heard of neither OpenOffice nor LibreOffice.  That is
where the greatest gains will gone from, increasing mainstream
awareness of OpenOffice.

Regards,

-Rob

[1]