On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 11:13 AM, Marcus (OOo) <marcus.m...@wtnet.de> wrote:

> Am 02/08/2014 07:44 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
>
>  On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 12:54 PM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
>>  wrote:
>>
>>  Am 02/07/2014 07:16 PM, schrieb Rob Weir:
>>>
>>>   On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 12:20 PM, Donald Whytock<dwhyt...@apache.org>

>>> OK, at the moment we trust in the users to use this link only for website
>>> issues. This is failing as we can see.
>>>
>>> What about to try the opposite way:
>>>
>>> - Remove the text and link.
>>> - Then the users will find another way (yes, I'm pretty sure they will
>>> succeed).
>>> - And from there the problem will be reported to us via dev@ - as other
>>> mails got redirected to this ML already.
>>>
>>> As the number of real website issues is much, much smaller than the
>>> number
>>> of misused mails, I believe that we can try this.
>>>
>>> So, anything against to try to go this way and see what will happen?
>>>
>>> Marcus
>>>

>> These are obviously users in need of product help. We have some
>> information
>> on the Contact Us page for them, but, this is either not understood or not
>> being used, or users prefer mailing list contact vs signing up for a Forum
>> account.   I think we should try to fix that area first before removing
>> the
>> correct link to report Web site problems.
>>

> OK, do you have an idea? Because I'm - like Rob - out of ideas.
>
> For me it is really obvious which way to go - *or not to go* - with
> problems. Everything is there.
>
> Marcus

yes.. I posted something in this thread yesterday and yet I can't find it
in the archives (hmmmm, I wonder what happened?)-- so here goes again...

How about if we change --
If you are a user and need technical support...

If you are a user and need help with Apache OpenOffice...

and change --

The fastest way to get expert help with OpenOffice is to post a question in
our support forum. Other support mechanisms, including FAQs, a users
mailing list, commercial support, etc., are described on our Support Page.

to --

The fastest way to get expert help with OpenOffice is to post a question in
our support forum.

Or contact the users mailing list. (we would need some kind of subject here)

Other support mechanisms, including FAQs,  commercial support, etc., are
described on our Support Page.