I swear I am technically savvy, but I have not found an easy link to the
materials you reference.

I start at the homepage - www.openoffice.org

I click on "I want to participate in OpenOffice" link which takes me here:
http://openoffice.apache.org/get-involved.html

I clink on the New Volunteer Orientation Modules
<http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/index.html> link which takes me
here: http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/index.html

I click on the Introduction to Development
<http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-development.html> link
which takes me here:
http://openoffice.apache.org/orientation/intro-development.html

I click on the Building Guide
<http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO> link
which takes me here:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO

That page has no instructions for how to build on Mac OS X, but it does
have a link titled Step-by-Step Building Guide for Different Platforms
<http://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO/Step_by_step>
which
of course looks very promising.

But when you click on that link, it takes you here:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO/Step_by_step

And that page offers detailed instructions for Ubuntu and Windows, but has
no links whatsoever to any materials regarding Mac OS X.

When I click on the link that you provided, I see the requirements for Mac
OS X and I see how to get started that is very helpful.

But compare that to the LibreOffice materials. I google "LibreOffice on Mac
OS X" and I get the following link:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/BuildingOnMac

I go to that link and it has step by step instructions on what to do.

I'm smart enough to be able to find what I am looking for, but I'm just
saying that as a total newcomer to both projects LibreOffice made it much
easier.