Okay, I'm going to fess up and admit my mistake. I found the link on the
"Building Guide" page (
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO) that
takes you to the Mac OS X information.

I see it now - I don't know why I didn't see it before - I was blind to it,
except it was halfway down a very long page and not at all where I would
expect to find it. I would expect to find it in the location titled:
Step-by-Step Building Guide for Different Platforms. At the very top of the
page is a link that claims to give step-by-step instructions for different
platforms, but when you click on it, it says nothing about Mac OS X. And I
still think that the information offered is not as clear or structured as
the information on the LO site.

I know that all of the information is there somewhere. I have found it in
the past. It just always feels like I have to dig for it with AOO, whereas
on LO it is easier.

Hey, programming isn't for wimps. But other noobs have now raised similar
points, so its more than just "user error".

And I second the observation that the website is confusing - there are
multiple sites with very different structures, sometimes with contradictory
or outdated information, and no real semblance of common organization
between them.