[orcmid]

Yes, for the Windows case the .bat would be inside the Zip along with the other
material.  It would be extracted along with the other material.  But then it
can be executed where unzipped by an user running it as administrator in place.
 So all of the renaming and copying business would be semi-automatic and users
operating from non-administrator accounts would only have to authorize
administrative operation once (it is to be hoped).

There is a variant that involves what is called a self-extracting Zip (an .exe
file) that will run a command after doing so.  I don't know whether we want to
do that, but it would be a way to create an installer for the patch.  That is a
potential future step to explore for the Windows case.

One step at a time ...