> 9. aug. 2016 kl. 13.23 skrev Carl Marcum <cmar...@apache.org>:
> Could we use a cross-platform installer like izpack [1]?
>
> I started trying it out last weekend and it looks like it could do the job of
> running a rename script and copying in the library.

I previously used izPack for cross platform install of a Tomcat application.
You can develop custom plugins for izPack as well as custom scripts, so
creating something which looks for AOO in a number
of predefined locations, and also validates the correct version dependency,
would probably be within reach as well.
I think you can tell izPack to do actions with elevated privileges.

I also tested generating a Windows-executable wrapper using Launch4J
(http://launch4j.sourceforge.net/ <http://launch4j.sourceforge.net/>), and it
worked well.
The resulting exe file is self contained, will auto-resolve any installed JRE
on the system, or display a popup with
Java download link if it cannot find Java on the system. Launch4J can also
generate executable wrappers for macOS but
I did not try that. Both izPack and launch4j can be built from e.g. an Ant
build script.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com