On 8/9/2016 2:41 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
Patricia Shanahan wrote:
How do we go about getting trained as release manager?

By making a release, or two.

If we only do two or three releases a year, we will only be able to
train release managers are a rate of about two a year. Is that fast
enough to be able to ensure we always have a designated release manager?

Documenting the process in more detail?

You can see the whole process documented everywhere (ASF pages and CWiki
for the 4.1.2 release), but it's a matter of tooling at this stage more
than documentation. Documentation was the main aim of 4.1.2.

Last time I tried finding documentation I found a lot about what steps
were needed, but very little about how to actually do the steps.

I envisage always having a branch or tag, managed by the release
manager, that represents the ready release. An emergency release would
take that branch, add one security fix, and complete the release process.

There is really nothing to invent or to do in a special way here. Our
codebase uses a (more or less) conventional approach. It can be tweaked
and perfected, but there's not much to discuss or change in this respect.

Regards,
  Andrea.