On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 5:37 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamil...@acm.org> wrote:
> As different "technical press" outlets make their own derivations of other
> articles, there is incorrect quotation and reference to historical matters
> that have nothing to do with the present state and how we move forward.
>
> For me, the LWN and ArsTechnica coverage is relatively fact-based.  Now,
> there are some others that tend to be more responsible with regard to
> journalism:
>
>  * PCWorld
> <http://www.pcworld.com/article/3116445/open-source-tools/openoffice-coders-debate-retiring-the-project.html>.
>
>  * ZDNet, on the other hand, is lazily derivative by borrowing on other
> articles.  It also shows ignorance of how Apache projects operate when it
> mentions "lack of funding." and perpetuates the idea that Microsoft Office or
> LibreOffice be switched to in the CVE advisory.  The statement about other
> products was for testing dodgy Impress documents that users might be
> concerned about.  In any case, now that there is a hotfix, Version 2.0 of the
> advisory does not need to address that.
> <http://www.zdnet.com/article/onetime-ms-office-challenger-openoffice-we-may-shut-down-due-to-dwindling-support/>.

A common mistake with all articles (well, apart from the LWN one) is
that they use the plain "OpenOffice" name to describe what is
officially "Apache OpenOffice".
AFAIK, the project does not have a trademark on "OpenOffice", but does
on "Apache OpenOffice".
The main website, at http://www.openoffice.org/, is a mix of "Apache
OpenOffice" and plain "OpenOffice" which is confusing.

I checked the documentation at http://openoffice.apache.org/trademarks.html
which claims that the Apache Foundation has the Apache OpenOffice™ and
OpenOffice.org®.
However, my search at the US Trademark database does not show an
"Apache OpenOffice" registered trademark.
It does show a live trademark for the old "OpenOffice.org" and also
for "LibreOffice" (for The Document Foundation).
But no "Apache OpenOffice".
Anyone can file for a trademark for "Apache OpenOffice", as they have
done already with the domain "ApacheOpenOffice.org".

Simos