On 2016-09-06 17:06 (+0100), Simos Xenitellis <simos.li...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

Just responding to these specific bits with my Apache Brand Management
Committee member hat on.

> which claims that the Apache Foundation has the Apache OpenOffice™ and
> OpenOffice.org®.
> However, my search at the US Trademark database does not show an
> "Apache OpenOffice" registered trademark.

Which is as expected. Note the TM. That denotes that "Apache OpenOffice" is a
trademark, just not a registered one. It is a gross simplification but, for the
ASF, it makes little/no difference to our rights whether it is registered or
not. Registration does make it easier to enforce compliance should the
trademark be infringed.

> It does show a live trademark for the old "OpenOffice.org" and also
> for "LibreOffice" (for The Document Foundation).
> But no "Apache OpenOffice".
> Anyone can file for a trademark for "Apache OpenOffice", as they have
> done already with the domain "ApacheOpenOffice.org".

If someone other than the ASF tried to register "Apache OpenOffice" as a
trademark we would oppose that registration and I am very confident we would be
successful.

Domain registration is not trademark registration.

The registration of ApacheOpenOffice.org looks to be abusive. The Apache
OpenOffice PMC has some options for dealing with that. How they wish to proceed
is a decision for them. Note that such issues are generally dealt with in
private, not public, so you are unlikely to see a discussion about what to do
about this specific issue on a public ASF mailing list.

Mark