On 10/18/2017 5:35 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:

On Oct 18, 2017, at 4:45 PM, Pedro Lino <pedro.l...@mailbox.org> wrote:

Maybe we need to ask for review of
http://www.apache.org/legal/release-policy.html#release-approval at the same
time as looking at the voting process documentation. If taken literally, a PMC
member who cannot do builds from source can't cast a +1 vote, because their
vote is binding and a binding +1 requires a build from source.

Probably the ASF wants to guarantee that at least 3 PMC members are developers
(or development inclined)?

It’s not probably. It *IS*!

If that is the purpose, it is not a very efficient way of achieving it.
It would take less of my time, for example, to attach an abbreviated CV
that I could write once and use for each vote, perhaps just a list of
degrees, patents, and former employers.

What I would like is to change it to require at least three PMC members to
declare they have done a build from source and tested the result. Other PMC
members could vote based on binary testing and signature checking without
building.

Actually for a multi-platform software such as AOO it should be required that
building from source and testing the result was carried out by at least one
voter (PMC member or not) for each of the platforms/bit depths.
If all three PMC members have success in building on e.g. Linux x64 it does not
provide any guarantee for the other platforms (as proven by 4.1.4 RC4)

We had two PMC providing the community builds. The official release is the
Source release. We need as much testing as possible of the community releases.
AOO is a unique project for Apache because our users count on the community
builds and not the source releases.

I think we have grown in the last year because in the first years here at
Apache most of the knowledge on how to build was in the minds of the former
Hamburg team - Star, Sun, Oracle and then IBM employees.

Special thanks to Matthias and Jim how providing the Community Builds.

I really get convinced that the source code is good for building
purposes by seeing people I trust upload binaries for each
combination of language and supported platform. I then download a few of
the binaries and test them.

During the vote period I do a ritual build of one combination on my own
hardware, and test the resulting binary, just to satisfy the ASF rules.
I would rather spend more time testing binaries that people are going to
use rather than testing a binary I'm going to throw away.