On 30 Nov, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> I think for 4.2.x and later, we have deprecated CentOS5 as a supported
> build system... I ran into a LOT of issues. So, imo, any fix that is
> *specific* for CentOS5 should be discounted.

I can't even do CentOS5 builds anymore.  My CentOS5 VM broke and CentOS
moved the package location so yum doesn't work anymore.

There is a lot of old baggage around, like undocumented workarounds for
even more ancient compilers and support for platforms that we don't
support anymore.  Do we want to spend a lot of time actively yanking
that stuff out?

> For 4.1.x, I'd prefer something which is a quick and easy fix,
> rather than something that touches a lot of build system moving
> parts.

I wouldn't want to backport the gbuild changes to 4.1.x.  I see this as
a trunk-only improvement to ease future maintenance.