On 30.11.2017 20:44, Don Lewis wrote:
On 30 Nov, Jim Jagielski wrote:
I think for 4.2.x and later, we have deprecated CentOS5 as a supported
build system... I ran into a LOT of issues. So, imo, any fix that is
*specific* for CentOS5 should be discounted.
I can't even do CentOS5 builds anymore.  My CentOS5 VM broke and CentOS
moved the package location so yum doesn't work anymore.

There is a lot of old baggage around, like undocumented workarounds for
even more ancient compilers and support for platforms that we don't
support anymore.  Do we want to spend a lot of time actively yanking
that stuff out?
Or even Code has been extended without touching the old code, in order to minimize bugs.
Yea, I would opt for improving maintenance Quality whenever possible.
But we can do that as we move along with bugfixing and enhancement.
Even if the maintenance quality is only improved by a bit it will help in the long run.

The architectural change Damjan did in the db interface was imho a good move.
For 4.1.x, I'd prefer something which is a quick and easy fix,
rather than something that touches a lot of build system moving
parts.
I wouldn't want to backport the gbuild changes to 4.1.x.  I see this as
a trunk-only improvement to ease future maintenance.
+1