On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 4:19 PM, Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:

> Playing devils advocate, does it make sense to introduce
> Yet Another Build System at this stage?

I anticipated this question.

Firstly, we don't only have dmake and gbuild as our build systems. We also
use Ant, meta-build tools like build.pl and co, Microsoft's nmake for
main/icu on Windows, and probably more. The existing number of tools
doesn't negatively affect development, so why should 1 more?

Secondly SCons can replace ./configure, so in all all-SCons world we would
eliminate 3 tools, not just 2.

As for "sense . .. at this stage", we've hit several walls with gbuild at
this stage:
* It can't version libraries in the form of reg3.dll vs reg.so linking to
reg.so.3 on *nix. Most of gbuild was written with the assumption libraries
on *nix always end with .so. Even when we dangerously weaken those
assumptions, and badly hack it, it doesn't deliver the link...
* It already broke certain mixtures of build settings, eg. I think you
can't both debug build and use precompiled headers on Windows, CFLAGS gets
lost somewhere...
* Nobody knows gbuild. The syntax is atrocious. It uses obscure features of
GNU make. We can't debug it. It takes days of work to investigate/fix any
problem with it, work that could be better spent on a this vast project
with few development resources.

> Also, there are a few projects that I know of that
> use SCons. In general, one of the most popular common
> threads related to them are "Why the hell are you using SCons?" :)

I'd like to see those discussions.

SCons as opposed to what?

Damjan