Am 02.12.2017 um 23:13 schrieb Jim Jagielski:

On Dec 2, 2017, at 1:59 PM, Damjan Jovanovic <dam...@apache.org> wrote:

On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 4:19 PM, Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:

Playing devils advocate, does it make sense to introduce
Yet Another Build System at this stage?

I anticipated this question.

:)

Secondly SCons can replace ./configure, so in all all-SCons world we would
eliminate 3 tools, not just 2.

./configure seems to work fine.

* Nobody knows gbuild.

And more people know SCons?? :)

My point is that likely more people know make and gmake
and its obscure features than SCons.

What I don't want is some hybrid monstrosity like we
have now. Nor do I want work on the build system to hold
off release of 4.2.0.

relating to the last sentence:
For this there is the fantastic invention of branches. ;-)

OK, seriously:
At the moment we are talking more about a 4.2.0 release than all other posts in the past together. Therefore we should think of when the best time point is for creating a new 4.2.0 branch. IMHO it is coming really closer.

Then we can go on on Trunk with improving the build system without any effects for 4.2.0.

My 2ct.

Marcus