Rory O'Farrell wrote:
Centos may be a good distro for building OO, but it is hardly the most widely
used for daily work

How popular a system is is not very relevant.

What matters is: we build OpenOffice on an "old" system since this makes it compatible with more recent systems. If we built OpenOffice on the latest Ubuntu, it wouldn't work on older Linux systems.

CentOS is good because it has very long term support, which allows us to establish a common baseline: for example, all Apache OpenOffice releases run on the same platform and were built on CentOS 5, so there is no risk that 4.1.2 works for you and 4.1.3 doesn't. Ubuntu LTS does not offer equivalent support.

Anyway, I also believe we should try with Damjan's patch. But apparently the patch never made it to the list. https://s.apache.org/xRCa does not show the patch either.

Regards,
  Andrea.