Matthias Seidel wrote:
We already have the build id, the build
date and now the git hash (which is a unique link to the last commit it
was based on)
This is how we did it with SVN, why should we change it?

Because we are dropping information. The SVN revisions are always increasing, and thus (independent on the build date, which can be at any moment) I can compare two builds and retain information on which came first.

With git of course this doesn't hold, i.e., you cannot say which commit came earlier between abcd1234 and 5678abcd. So I see some added value if we enrich it this way.

Regards,
  Andrea.