Hello,

My opinion is that "merit" is something specific other than "important" (Your
wording was: "Why would it be considered less..."). "merit" is something very
personal.

For me, this is personal because each of us, with skill, effort and perhaps
also some luck, can earn and donate any amount of money.  On the other hand the
day has only 24 hours for each of us and nobody can increase this time.

And please, don't get me wrong:
the support by companies or other donors, I don't think is unimportant or of
less value in the core, but "merit" is something which for me also contains a
pinch of what one could call "honor". (Perhaps not the best choice of words,
but hopefully understandable)

> If there was any 3rd party influence, that would mean that at least
> someone is trying to steer the project with some agenda. According to
> the development level of the project, I'm not sure we should
> be afraid
> about that, or should we?

The "development level of the project" is not a criterion for this.

greetings,
Jörg