Jörg Jahnke wrote:
Hi,

the reason why the Wiki page speaks of mandatory tests I have mentioned in a previous mail:

Jörg Jahnke schrieb:

The problem with such tests not being mandatory is that, sooner or later, some tests would break. That again would lead to a state where the user of the tests could not be sure whether a broken test-case means that he introduced a bug or whether he just encountered an old problem that broke the test-cases before. He would have to start a tedious search to find out the cause of the problem - just like the testers have to do nowadays. And then people would simply not use the tests because the efforts are too high...

Ause just informed me about another solution that might remove the need to have the test run on every CWS i.e. we wouldn't need to have the tests mandatory. His idea is to run the tests on the Master Workspace prior to announcing the CWS as "ready for CWS use". If a test fails then this would result in a P1 issue that has to be fixed before the MWS can be used by everyone. Very similar to how we handle it for the Smoketest on the MWS nowadays.

Additionally the list of tests to run would be checked in to CVS, so that we could disable a tests for every user on a given milestone if a fix cannot be done in time.

That way a developer could get an _optional_ means at hand of doing regression tests, with no obligation to always run these tests. If the developer feels that he should run the tests, then he could do so and invest the (machine) time. If he thinks that the tests will be no additional help, he just does not run them.

Of course the question then is how often such a regression happens. If we have to expect to have half a dozen P1 bugs each milestone due to the mass of regressions, then the "mandatory for every CWS" seems the better solution to me. But if we expect to have such a P1 bug from the automatic tests only once every 2 or 3 milestones (or hopefully even less often), then this seems an acceptable way to me.

Does that make sense?

Are you really asking for my opinion? ;-)

From my point of view this does not make sense at all. It is never a good idea to shift testing from childworkspaces to master builds. We would spend quite some time with P1 issues which should have been detected on the responsible CWS beforehand. This whole discussion is about testing CWSs before integration to prevent regressions instead of detection regressions afterwards, isn't it? BTW, what you describe is quite different to current Smoketest handling in that doing Smoketest is mandatory on every CWS.

Rüdiger