Hi Ingrid,

>>Imagine your frustration what happens if the test fails after 2 days and
>>20 hours ... Or the turnaround times you have when the test fails there,
>>you fix it, and the test fails again an hour later.
>
> Imagine the frustration of your QA-Rep if he finds the error in you CWS
> after 2days and 20hours....

Okay, this depends on what we're talking about. I doubt (somebody
correct me if I'm wrong) that QA does run 3-day-tests (automatic tests,
that is) on all of my CWS. So, when we assume 3-day-tests for each and
every CWS, then this is more than the QA is currently doing.

Otherwise, if we talk about doing the same automated tests QA currently
(and usually) does, then I'd assume it's less than 3 days.

> Imagine the even bigger frustration of several QA-Reps and other
> developers if they find the introduced errors in the master and all
> resynced CWSes...

Again, what do we talk about?
Regressions which hinder most engineers to do their normal
development/QA work, or regressions which hinder people to use the version?

If the latter, then the 3 days of testing need to find *a lot* of
regressions to pay off.

Yes, I know and understand and believe the "the earlier you find it, the
cheaper it is" idea. But:

Experience with all those automated things shows that there's
nonetheless still a lot of manual work involved. I simply doubt, from
what I experienced over the last years, that "press a button and all is
fine" thingie will work. There's servers which can be down. There's the
case where you need to hunt down the place where the actual error
occured (ever tried finding out what TestTool tries to say with "Foo
failed"? No? Do it, bite your desk. Bite it twice if you're not the
person who wrote the test.), ...

I'm not voting against tests which finish in a reasonable time frame
(and fulfill other requirements said in the thread), but 3 days is quite
a lot of time ...

Ciao
Frank

--
- Frank Schönheit, Software Engineer         [EMAIL PROTECTED] -
- OpenOffice.org Base                       http://dba.openoffice.org -