Hi Frank,

On Wednesday, 2007-11-14 21:42:42 +0100, Frank Schönheit wrote:

> > As a side note: users@ lists are irregularly read by developers, and for
> > some projects like framework a [EMAIL PROTECTED] doesn't even exist and
> > wouldn't make much sense either. Better would be some
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] list.
>
> Hmm - which means Bernd has to move it to the
> nice-to-have-not-exactly-quickly-to-implement-feature-wishes-for-eis list.

? why not? If it would be one single dedicated list there shouldn't be
a problem.

This seems to be a misunderstanding, the @ooo I used above was meant to
be read as @openoffice.org, no project involved.

> I don't know for other projects, in DBA, both users@ and dev@ are
> low-traffic and read equally.

Same for @sc lists, I don't know about other projects though. Most users
seem to use the global [EMAIL PROTECTED] list, probably because it is much
easier to find.

> Perhaps [EMAIL PROTECTED] could be the choice
> then. It would contradict my understanding of "dev", since it's really a
> user discussing the feature ...

Seconded. Feedback should also be possible for everyone, not only
subscribed users, which doesn't suit the dev@ lists.

> Another possibility: we use a global [EMAIL PROTECTED] (either [EMAIL
> PROTECTED], or
> a new dedicated feedback list). At least the UX member of the iTeam will
> read this, and can delegate to the appropriate list.

Would that scale?

> > Bear in mind that CollabNet does Reply-To munging (yes, still considered
> > harmful) so you would end up with two different Reply-To headers where
> > it depends on order and the mail client which one would actually be
> > used. Nothing reliable.
>
> They really add a second header? I always though they simply overwrite
> an existing one, but this is even worse ... :(

I'd say overwriting an existing one would be even worse, with two
headers present I can at least "visually" detect the original intention
of the author in case I wanted to reply off-list.

> However, looking at some recent feature mails in DBA, it seems somebody
> already sets a "reply-to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]" - not sure whether this is EIS,
> or
> collab.net.

hmm.. now that you mention, same for sc. I recall that [EMAIL PROTECTED] already
received replies to feature mails. I assume this is setup at Collab, so
if changed there the reply-to munging problem would be moot on these
allowed-posters lists.

The allfeatures list though has Reply-To [EMAIL PROTECTED] ...

  Eike

--
 OOo/SO Calc core developer. Number formatter stricken i18n transpositionizer.
 SunSign   0x87F8D412 : 2F58 5236 DB02 F335 8304  7D6C 65C9 F9B5 87F8 D412