Hi,

not that i am not interested or that the idea isn't interesting generally but can you please continue the discussion on one mailing list only.

Or better on an appropriate mailing list for the new incubator project.

Thanks

Juergen

Kay Ramme wrote:
Hi Martin,

Martin Hollmichel wrote:
all,

Let me do some additional comments regarding our current project setup since this is a project which not necessarily has to do with OpenOffice.org core technology or native lang projects.
I tend to disagree here ... but lets see ...

Currently the Incubator category has been set up to provide some space to test new ideas (see: <http://projects.openoffice.org/incubator.html> "The Incubator category exists to provide a space for community members to test ideas. These ideas can be coding or not."
OK

It seems to be the expectation that the projects in Incubator should find their final destination either in Accepted Projects (http://projects.openoffice.org/accepted.html) or in Native-Lang Projects (http://projects.openoffice.org/native-lang.html) or find their end sooner or later in "/dev/null". Since the [EMAIL PROTECTED] project does not meet the criteria for being an accepted project ("... projects that include core technical projects as well as key user information projects.") nor the criteria of a native lang project it seems not be that easy for me to just vote "+1" without this lengthy comment.
That means, that you do in principal vote with a "+1", doesn't it?

In my daydreams, I see the [EMAIL PROTECTED] becoming the OOo suites complement on the server. Thus I hope it to certainly become a "core technical project".

I think we need to revisit these guidelines and may invent a new category like "OOo related" projects. Candidates for this project might be the [EMAIL PROTECTED] but also the Extensions or the Education project. To encourage the creation of such projects I would like to see the conditions for those project at a low level. At the same time this also would mean that these project are also not in the scope of the Community Council Charter (http://council.openoffice.org/CouncilProposal.html).
Ah, I may understand what you are talking about now ... it is about the CCs relationship e.g. with [EMAIL PROTECTED] right? For example, if the CC needs to coordinate releases of [EMAIL PROTECTED] or extensions etc. right?

At this time many OpenOffice.org related projects are hosted anywhere (e.g. more than 100 on sourceforge) but not within the OpenOffice.org domain. I think it would help the overall OpenOffice.org project if we would introduce such new category for these projects.
I agree that we should encourage any OOo related project to be hosted on OOo. So, I am not sure yet if we really need a new category, I have to admit, that I am even not sure we need any categories at all ... yes I know, I am slow ;-)

The current infrastructure on collab.net has some limitations (single database Issuetracker instance for all project) which makes the introduction of an independent category difficult but I guess this is just a technical problem and should be solvable in the one or other way.

but under the current guidelines of the project I'm fine with voting for the [EMAIL PROTECTED] project becoming a regular incubator project of OpenOffice.org,
Ahhh, I hoped so :-) thanks!

Martin

     Kay