Op 13 jan 2009, om 13:17 heeft Frederik Ramm het volgende geschreven:

> Martijn,
>
>> The goal of the talk will be to interest the (Amsterdam) Ruby
>> community in OSM in general, but also in becoming involved in OSM
>> Rails development. Is that helpful?
>
> My personal take on this is that we actually have two, very
> different, kinds of "web interface", or better "http interface".

[...]
The distinction between interfacing with end users (the front end) and
interfacing between the database through the API with non-human
clients is a useful one. I don't want to get into a discussion as to
whether Ruby / Rails is the best choice for this - but at least I'm
prepared for a discussion among the Ruby devs :)

> In my eyes, OSM is not a "typical Rails project", nor even a project
> where Rails can demonstrate superiority to anything else. In parts,
> OSM is even a "we're Rails here but it's really not optimal" project.

I don't think it needs to be, at least not for knowledgable Ruby
professionals. It might be interesting for them to see Ruby on rails
used in a non-typical use case. Best practices are a dime a dozen I
guess. Let's see.

Thanks for your take on this.
Martijn