Matt Amos wrote:
> in which case we're trading development effort for performance.
> i think we're operating in areas constrained by the lack of
> available developers, so making the barrier to entry higher is a
> tough decision.

(Speaking seriously for once...)

Kind of, but it's not a simple trade-off. Certainly as far as Potlatch is
concerned, server performance issues require development effort on the
client. The problem that's been brought up both here and on talk, where the
server dies halfway through a write operation and leaves the database in an
inconsistent state, is an example of this - there are others.

When TomH did the quadtile stuff, that added a degree of complexity for a
boost in performance. I doubt anyone now would say it was the wrong
decision.

cheers
Richard