Rajith Attapattu wrote:
Hi All,

I have prototyped a new configuration for the JMS Destination
abstraction, that addresses some of the issues associated with our
previous binding URL format.

The proposal is organized as follows.
1. Design concepts/notes
2. Configuration format with examples
3. Complete list of options available
4. Code patch (attached with email)

The proposal is located at,

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/Proposal+for+a+new+JMS
+Destination+configuration

Suggestions and criticisms are equally welcomed.

I am very much in favour of some changes in the configuration of destinations and expanding the capabilities in this regard. However I wonder if perhaps a simpler syntax is possible?

Even the simplest example:

  xqueue.myQueue = name='myQueue'
  xdestination.myQueue = queue=myQueue

seems a little unintuitive and awkward to me. Is the 'x' important? Is it to avoid clashing with existing formats? Could we instead specify a different class as the value for java.naming.factory.initial (i.e. one that supported a different syntax)?

Thinking aloud, my ideal syntax would be something along the lines of:

  my-queue.type=org.apache.qpid.client.AMQQueue
  my-queue.name=abc
  my-queue.publisher.sync=true
  my-queue.subscriber.prefetch=100
  etc. etc.

I haven't thought through all the requirements or the impact on implementation complexity of course. The above may not be feasible; I'm merely including it as a half-baked comment on ways that the syntax might be made a little simpler for the user.