Robert Greig wrote:
2009/11/30 Robert Godfrey <rob.j.godf...@gmail.com>:

I'm not sure how useful a metric this is as I would argue that none of our
.net clients have been completely production ready (as Rafi pointed out
earlier).

That must be a contender for the understatement of the month prize on
this mailing list...

 Furthermore my understanding was that the client currently being
developed cannot easily be ported to run on .net platforms other than
Windows (i.e. it will no be available to users of Mono) and therefore cannot
completely supersede the existing C# based client in that way .

I am not sure why this would be the case. I have never attempted to
use WCF on Mono but from the project page it does sound like a lot of
it is implemented, and probably enough to get the Qpid channel
working:

http://www.mono-project.com/WCF

There is some of C++ in the qpid channel too, which clearly isn't
portable but from a quick glance at it, it doesn't look like it would
be beyond a suitably motivated individual to make it cross-platform.

My point about the WCF adapter being windows only was not in regard to WCF in general, but just about the implementation. Specifically the ReadMe.txt lists the following prerequisites:

1. Qpid C++ client and common libraries for Windows including BOOST
Ensure the location of the Boost library (e.g. %BOOST_ROOT%\lib) is
included in your PATH environment variable.

2. .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Install the .NET Framework from http://www.microsoft.com/net/

3. Windows SDK
Install the Windows SDK for the version of Windows that you are using
from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/bb980924.aspx

I have no doubt that a suitably motivated individual could get this stuff working on mono, and even make it production ready. The tricky part is finding enough suitably motivated individuals to do this and to keep fixing it when it breaks. Given our history with the first two dotnet clients, I'm very wary of taking on another attempt lightly.

--Rafael