2009/11/30 Robert Godfrey <rob.j.godf...@gmail.com>:

> I'm not sure how useful a metric this is as I would argue that none of our
> .net clients have been completely production ready (as Rafi pointed out
> earlier).

That must be a contender for the understatement of the month prize on
this mailing list...

>  Furthermore my understanding was that the client currently being
> developed cannot easily be ported to run on .net platforms other than
> Windows (i.e. it will no be available to users of Mono) and therefore cannot
> completely supersede the existing C# based client in that way .

I am not sure why this would be the case. I have never attempted to
use WCF on Mono but from the project page it does sound like a lot of
it is implemented, and probably enough to get the Qpid channel
working:

http://www.mono-project.com/WCF

There is some of C++ in the qpid channel too, which clearly isn't
portable but from a quick glance at it, it doesn't look like it would
be beyond a suitably motivated individual to make it cross-platform.

> I'm very supportive of the efforts to make available a WCF client for Qpid
> (and more generally, I hope, for AMQP) however I think we need to look a
> little more carefully about how we are going to go forward supporting .net
> application programmers and - something that tends to get a little lost -
> how we enable .net programmers to interoperate seamlessly with clients using
> other APIs (for example JMS <-> .net/WCF)..

I think this is something where WCF's flexibility be shown to be a
good thing, but I'll leave someone more qualified than I am to give a
definitive answer. I agree that the mapping needs to be documented,
and any WCF behaviours etc standardised.

RG