2009/11/30 Carl Trieloff <cctriel...@redhat.com>

> Aidan Skinner wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 2:11 PM, Carl Trieloff <cctriel...@redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> The old 0-10 version that is pure .NET (0.5) or the updated version that
>>> Cliff has been working extensively on (coming in 0.6 from trunk)?
>>>
>>> Sorry if this is confusing, we should deprecate the old one from the
>>> source
>>> tree...
>>>

>> I'm really not sure about deprecating the 0-10 one. It's had some
>> testing and maintanance, and the new one lacks a few important
>> features such as not being portable to other .Net implementations.
>>

> We should track it somehow to know when the new client supersedes the
> current
> one in completeness.
>
> Carl.

I'm not sure how useful a metric this is as I would argue that none of our
.net clients have been completely production ready (as Rafi pointed out
earlier).  Furthermore my understanding was that the client currently being
developed cannot easily be ported to run on .net platforms other than
Windows (i.e. it will no be available to users of Mono) and therefore cannot
completely supersede the existing C# based client in that way .

I'm very supportive of the efforts to make available a WCF client for Qpid
(and more generally, I hope, for AMQP) however I think we need to look a
little more carefully about how we are going to go forward supporting .net
application programmers and - something that tends to get a little lost -
how we enable .net programmers to interoperate seamlessly with clients using
other APIs (for example JMS <-> .net/WCF)..

We collectively have a better understanding of how we expect .net users
(across all platforms) to interact with other AMQP clients and the messaging
patterns they use.  until we have that I don't think we can say that any of
our .net clients is the way forward.

Cheers,
Rob