I think I've been heading slowly in that general direction; I'm still fixing bugs. Because there are ongoing concerns regarding the number of internal changes to modernise the code (public api compatible), there's no plan to make this a public release, but instead allow the community to decide what to do with the code, there is significant support to make these improvements, it's just the migration process is a source of contention. I do plan to produce release candidates for wider testing in the near future however.

What I've worked on:

  1. Distributed objects, to replace Serializable, instead of using
     reflection to serialize an objects serial form, it serializes
     instructions to recreate objects remotely using method calls and
     arguments.  So now you can extend objects that aren't Serializable
     without a zero arg constructor and implement Distributed, and you
     can check invariants, copy arrays and Collections AND have final
     fields.
  2. Fixing Bugs, lots of bugs
  3. Eliminating unnecessary DNS calls.
  4. Making security scalable.
  5. We need access to decent hardware to perform real world testing.

What I'd like to do:

  1. UDT Sockets
  2. DNS-SRV Lookup Discovery
  3. Distributed Lambda Expressions