If a cookie replacement option is too time-consuming or hacky to implement, perhaps it would be better for us not to make the perfect the enemy of the good, i.e., have Greg go ahead and update the device detection info even if we lose the cookie stuff. Perhaps 90% of all blogs are going to be just single (responsive) rendition anyway, cookies would benefit only that subset of the 10% where mobile is not the best template for a tablet.

I'd like to get 5.1.1 out relatively soon, as Roller's 5.1.0's inability to work with tablets and smartphones OOTB is very harmful for its adoption. Although I've already patched that problem by having mobile requests go to standard if mobile not provided, additionally getting the device detection list updated to Spring Mobile's latest and greatest as part of this release would be very good for Roller and helpful for integrators. Greg at his leisure can later do the SaltCache stuff after 5.1.1 if he wishes.

Some other ideas we could consider instead of SaltCache-based solutions (of which I don't really understand but am not too concerned about it), most probably post 5.1.1:

1.) Add a new type to RenditionType, TABLET, allowing the blogger to configure whatever he or she thinks is best for tablets in his theme.xml, still defaulting back to MOBILE, and from there, STANDARD, if a tablet rendition isn't provided. Possibly also, create a top-level tabletDefault property in the theme.xml (or configured in user settings at the weblog level, so it will work with custom themes also), with accepted values of STANDARD or MOBILE, in which the blog writer specifies which rendition he wants used if the device is detected to be a tablet and he or she doesn't wish to manually configure tablet renditions.

2.) Twitter does not provide a standard/mobile button but just separate URLs for the user to choose from: m.twitter.com and www.twitter.com. What we could do is provide the user an ability to create a second (mobile) handle when creating the blog that will use the mobile renditions defined for that theme, if any. That way the blog reader can choose whichever theme desired by his choice of URL.

Cheers,
Glen