HI Alex,

> Hi Carlos,
>
> I skimmed through https://material.io/guidelines/# last night.
>
> My impression is that there were two parts to it.  First was the
> environment/principles section which talked about physical objects and
> light (and motion), and then there were choices of widgets.  For example,
> I didn't see anything in the first part that said that a text input had to
> be a single line and couldn't be a box.

Material guidelines could be a great way to start, but trying to give
something different.
I think that we need to get something that looks great while be clearly
different to google material,
bootstrap, and others so people could see us as an alternative. That could
make people copying us
or adopting the whole Apache Royale SDK that is what we want in the end

> That made me think that we could use our widget set and apply Material
> environment and principles to it.  If we decide not to, I would think you
> would want to have some sort of similar environment/principles document
> which seems like a fair amount of work.  I think we'd end up looking
> different because we have different widgets and maybe some different
> colors.  I'm pretty sure that we don't want to be different so much that
> we don't create things that folks want to use.  The priority to me is just
> to prove that you can alter every pixel in every widget we have so that
> others can provide custom skins as well.  So starting with Material
> principles seems like it would save us time, we can get something
> released, and can innovate more later.

I think as you that we need a way to make the "presentation" of each
component highly customizable.
And we need to be different in visualization (art, colors, ...) but not in
usability that is what people
needs to be consistently

> Maybe a good question for our users is:  How many of you used the default
> Flex skins vs a whole new set of skins?  If most folks completely
> re-skinned to match their corporate branding, it matters less what our
> default is, and more that we can allow folks to customize every pixel.

We need both: a skin that will be highly customizable and to change skins
to look very very different.
People with lees money or time in their Apps will choose the first. People
that has more resources will go with the second.
Apache Royale needs to support both

> The wireframe can be black and white, IMO.  I was thinking that "vivid"
> would have parameterized colors.

I started to think that wireframe could end having lots of customization
controls. For example:

-2-3 main colors as we talked , and the same MDL does
-possibilitiy to be solid colors, or gradients
-possibility to have backgrounds more or less opaque

if we see a concrete component like button:

- configurable corners, square to round corners
- more blocky (relief) or more flat

So wireframe could be a concrete configuration of the main theme

> Since Bootstrap was mentioned, I want to point out that the Flat.swc is a
> rough approximation of the Flat theme which is a Bootstrap theme.  It is a
> rough approximation because I could not use the Flat CSS file directly
> since it contains much more advanced CSS than we currently support on the
> SWF side.  But it presumed that the Checkbox was a Label with a Span that
> hides in front of or behind the <input type="check" /> in order to allow
> customizing every pixel.  Looks like MDL uses the same Span trick but
> maybe without a symbol font.
>
> Basic is, IMO, truly meant to be Basic.  I think the Basic Checkbox should
> not have that extra Span.  But it looks to me that a SkinnableCheckbox can
> add that extra Span and you either give it the same class name that
> BootStrap or MDL uses or create our own set of classnames and the CSS that
> goes with it.

The problem with Basic could be that if is very very basic and looks with a
very basic look (as it is very poorly stylizable), I think
People will not use it at all, in this case, I'll don't understand the goal
with basic. It's intend ended as a base
but to not use in production? For this reason is what I want to know if you
think this theme feature could be plugged in basic or not.

> Of course, I could be wrong.  This is not my area of expertise at all.

Hi Alex, maybe UX is not your expertise area, but your help here is very
needed since we can get to great ideas in this field, but
maybe don't know how to bring it to implementation in Apache Royale. I
think that you, Peter, Harbs,... are needed in order to
make this happen in the pure arquitecture side or this feature.

Thanks

-Alex