Hi Eike,

Eike Rathke wrote:
Hi Leonard,
On Thursday, 2007-05-17 22:55:33 +0300, Leonard Mada wrote:
A.) 'CTRL+A' =>
1.) in MS Excel: selects A1:?P?37 (selection as drawn seems to extend
beyond shown boundaries)
2.) in OOo Calc: selects A1:Z68 (selection seems NOT to extend beyond
these boundaries)

Both observations are not correct. Both applications indeed mark the
entire sheet A1:IV65536, which can be verified by scrolling to the
right/bottom, either using the scroll bars or mouse scrolling functions.
...
*However, does ANY user need exactly the A1:IV65536 range*???

Yes, if you want row heights / column widths / cell attributes to apply
to an entire sheet. Probably not for pasting some "tech journalists'
test data".

  Eike

A. I still feel that NO-one needs exactly 65536 rows x 256 columns. It didn't happen a single time in my whole career that I needed that number, NOR am I aware of this use scenario in the office I am working. While I do NOT remember the exact number of rows I used, I am fairly certain, that I never encountered 256 columns. And I have overseen quite a number of employees.

Now, to give a usefulness to the 'CTRL'+'A' key, I return back to my previous post: give the user 2 choices 1.) first choice: display window where user can select the number of columns and rows
     (for default values see paragraph 2.) )
2.)  select everything UP TO:
      - the right-most column that is NOT empty
      - the bottom-most row that is NOT empty

This way, the user can make a better selection.

B. Why copy everything (attributes, possibly even content) thousand of times?

In Impress, you can define the settings for a *MASTER SLIDE*.

So, why is there NO such *MASTER-CELL* in Calc?

Instead of storing millions of attributes for every cell, just store it once in the master cell. One could give this master cell even a default value, so one could have even values stored only once. This would extend what Michael Meeks was working on (I believe he is on the way to implement some string caching).

Hope this more global thinking prevails.

Sincerely,

Leonard

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to