On 30.01.2018, at 01:38, Robert Munteanu <romb...@apache.org> wrote:
> The constraint that we worked with is that many links would be pointing
> to https://github.com/apache/sling and these would be broken if we
> added another 'sling' repository to the mix.  So we decided to keep the
> old 'sling' repository in place, renamed, so links would not break.

What new links were you thinking of?

IIUC, it would be only a README.md and some others markdown files, plus the few
xml files in sling-aggregator [0] in the "master" branch. Which is by design
not in the old repo which used subversions "trunk".

Note that any link to a file or subfolder in github would always include the
branch name.  Not sure if you would ever create branches other than "master"
for this "landing" repo, and any that would conflict with the few fixed
branches from the old repo [1].

tl;dr I don't think there is any chance for conflicts.

> The Sling SVN repository is read-only to make sure we don't
> accidentally commit changes there. We would need to go through infra
> for each change so frequent updates

Would it be possible to transform the github apache/sling repo, being a
read-only mirror of the svn one (IIUC), into an active github repo? This might
be a one time change, but you can still protect the old stuff.

Something like this:
1. delete apache/sling-old-svn-mirror on github and disable the mirroring
(infra team?)
2. re-create apache/sling from the git mirror repos available at ASF (infra
team?)
3. make all the old branches protected so they can't be modified anymore
4. add the aggregator and new landing page readme on the master branch, which
will be push-able for committers

wdyt?

[0] https://github.com/apache/sling-aggregator
[1] https://github.com/apache/sling-old-svn-mirror/branches/all