On Wed, 2018-01-31 at 00:13 +0000, Alexander Klimetschek wrote:
> On 30.01.2018, at 01:38, Robert Munteanu <romb...@apache.org> wrote:
> > The constraint that we worked with is that many links would be
> > pointing
> > to https://github.com/apache/sling and these would be broken if we
> > added another 'sling' repository to the mix.  So we decided to keep
> > the
> > old 'sling' repository in place, renamed, so links would not break.
>
> What new links were you thinking of?

Links to commits and files from the old sling repo. For example

* https://github.com/apache/sling/commit/368f5f9c9f6d4c0e2602065687d95e
b173f94b85
* https://github.com/apache/sling/blob/trunk/bundles/extensions/bundler
esource/src/main/java/org/apache/sling/bundleresource/impl/BundleResour
ce.java

These would break if we add another 'sling' repo but work since we
renamed 'sling' to 'sling-old-svn-mirror' and Github is adding
redirects.

That's the main argument against adding a new Git "native" repo as
"sling".

> IIUC, it would be only a README.md and some others markdown files,
> plus the few xml files in sling-aggregator [0] in the "master"
> branch. Which is by design not in the old repo which used subversions
> "trunk".
>
> Note that any link to a file or subfolder in github would always
> include the branch name.  Not sure if you would ever create branches
> other than "master" for this "landing" repo, and any that would
> conflict with the few fixed branches from the old repo [1].
>
> tl;dr I don't think there is any chance for conflicts.

Right, but it's not about conflicts, it's about breaking old links.
Backwards compatiblity and all that :-)

> > The Sling SVN repository is read-only to make sure we don't
> > accidentally commit changes there. We would need to go through
> > infra
> > for each change so frequent updates
>
> Would it be possible to transform the github apache/sling repo, being
> a read-only mirror of the svn one (IIUC), into an active github repo?
> This might be a one time change, but you can still protect the old
> stuff.
>
> Something like this:
> 1. delete apache/sling-old-svn-mirror on github and disable the
> mirroring (infra team?)
> 2. re-create apache/sling from the git mirror repos available at ASF
> (infra team?)
> 3. make all the old branches protected so they can't be modified
> anymore
> 4. add the aggregator and new landing page readme on the master
> branch, which will be push-able for committers
>
> wdyt?

Actually that's not a bad idea :-) The only downside would be that
cloning the repository would be really slow due to the large size. Not
sure if we can work around it.

What do others think?

Robert