On Wed, 2018-01-31 at 10:00 +0100, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 9:23 AM, Robert Munteanu <romb...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2018-01-31 at 00:13 +0000, Alexander Klimetschek wrote:
> > > ... 4. add the aggregator and new landing page readme on the
> > > master
> > > branch, which will be push-able for committers...
> > >

> > ...The only downside would be that
> > cloning the repository would be really slow due to the large
> > size....
>
> I think we need to have the aggregator [0] run a regular build to
> update the list of Git repositories, soon. That becomes more
> important
> as that list starts including tags, contrib/core/etc status and other
> metadata that will change more often than now.
>
> I don't think a large Git repository is a good place for such an
> automatically built list of Git repositories metadata, as Jenkins
> would need to transfer lots of unneeded data, a dedicated small
> repository is much better for that. And I'm not sure right now how to
> push the output of that to any branch from builds.apache.org, at this
> point I only know how to commit to an asf-site branch (by tying the
> Jenkins build to build nodes having the git-websites label).

Then perhaps we should consider making the aggregator the 'sling'
repository, explaining where the old links went in a README, and
keeping 'sling-old-svn-mirror' without a redirect.

Also see the 'Sling docker image' thread [1], it seems keeping the main
repo read-only has some disadvantages we did not consider.

Robert

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/2b0f66c9d9a756bc574c233d9d0904
8713944b602d7292fb8001d69c@%3Cdev.sling.apache.org%3E