My take -

Core - Does this mean it has to be in the starter? Does everything that shows
up in the starter means it's Core? My take on the concept of  "Core" is that
these are the minimal set of bundles required for Sling and that every Sling
product should have.

Extensions  - ? These are bundles that are supported and provide value but that
not all downstream applications might use. Potentially this would cover
scripting languages, jdbc support, resource providers, etc.., There could be
possible multiple sub sets of extensions that define the types of extensions

Legacy - bundles that aren't supported because of complexity, lack of demand,
no one is going to touch it.  Use at your own risk sort of thing.

Deprecated - It's here because we once made it available, but don't use it,
really, it's a security risk or a legal issue.

- Jason