So an outcome here is:  groom versions.properties to not have needless
references to transitive dependencies.
It's too bad the format of this file doesn't support comments so that we
can explain our justification for listing a transitive dependency.  Maybe
that would be easy for us to add.

~ David Smiley
Apache Lucene/Solr Search Developer
http://www.linkedin.com/in/davidwsmiley