Hi,

Hoss, I see what you're getting at.

So far we kept it simple and only suggest PRs on main branch, and let committer
backport at own discretion.

It has a few downsides:
* Won't get PRs for deps that are removed in main but still supported in 9x
* If we e.g. upgraded main to jetty 11 but wanted 9x to stay on jetty 10, there
would not no 10.x.y upgrade PRs

Renovate opens separate PR for major ver, but folds patch/minor upgrades into
same PR. Thus if we wanted to be conservative for an upcoming release and only
do a bugfix upgrade, there may not  be a PR for it if a newer minor version
exists.
Renovate has options for these things, see docs
https://docs.renovatebot.com/faq/#renovates-default-behavior-for-majorminor-releases
 if we want separate bugfix PRs.
But if we should have separate PRs for bugfixes and separate PRs for main and
branch_9x, then I think the amount would explode somewhat.

We currently have a general 5-day delay since a release. Could be we could
configure different delays for major/minor/patch, have a look at the
documentation site I linked to and see if you believe it is possible. I
sometimes get confused by the large amount of configuration options.

Jan