On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 1:14 AM Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org> wrote:
> If someone makes a commit who you are not expecting to make a commit, or in
> an area you weren't expecting changes in, you'll notice that, right?

Not counterarguments, but just more color on the hesitation:

- Probably, but it's less obvious on a big project than a small one!
- More likely: person commits in an area they know, and it breaks
something elsewhere unexpectedly. Tests can catch most but not all of
this. That's a risk everywhere though.
- Or: most commits aren't _authored_ by committers here (I think?) but
_merged_ by committers. It's still possible to watch for this, but
harder.
- It's harder to retroactively review commits and revert if needed,
not impossible

Honestly I think most of Spark is run with the attitude you describe.
It's the core and SQL modules that generate the worry, because
correctness and semantics are much more sensitive there.

I know at one time we tried the notion of 'maintainers' for areas of
the code, where it was strongly suggested that a change to module X be
reviewed by one of a few experts on that part of the code. It was
never really enforced and so dropped. I recall it was a little
controversial at the time: why are you trying to create committers
with more/less power over the code? Yet I think that's the substance
of the 'what harm can it do?' argument: just make sure committers
stick to their appropriate area and then there's really no worry.

> In order to do that, you'd need to create this kind of in-between status
> Apache-wide.  I would be very much opposed to doing that for a couple of
> reasons:
> * It adds complexity for infra and events with no clear benefits to the
> projects.
> * The risk of creating a second-class status at the ASF is just too high for
> my comfort.

This is a good practical argument. I'd still push back on the idea
that there is no benefit (cf. supra), but it may not be worth the
headache or simple admin overhead.
I don't buy the second-class citizen argument so much. We already have
a board, PMC, committer statuses. It's just that we're used to these
tiers.
I don't think you're being dogmatic about it, but, some are, some of
the same people railing against squashing new ideas because they're
different!

> Documents are IP.  You're better off if you have an ICLA for that stuff,
> regardless of where it lands in your project content.  And the most natural
> point in time to request an ICLA is at committer invitation.

Side point: ICLAs are always nice-to-have but not required, no? most
contributions don't come from those with an ICLA nor would we want to
block contributions on signing one. It's just orthogonal. I take your
point that a regular contributor probably should sign an ICLA, and a
regular contributor should be a committer, just not that they should
be a committer because they should sign an ICLA.

You can tell there's a range of opinions here. I'm probably less
'conservative' about adding committers than most on the PMC, right or
wrong, but more conservative than some at the ASF. I think there's
room to inch towards the middle ground here and this is good
discussion informing the thinking.