So I’d like to add non-coding committers, I think there is great value in
both recognizing them and eventually having a broader PMC (eg maybe someone
who’s put a lot of time into teaching Spark has important things to say
about a proposed release, perhaps important enough for a binding vote).

That being said I think that my view is not aligned with the rest of the
PMC and I believe it is important that we work together so I’m ok with
exploring things like Spark VIP (I think in Kafka land there is an MVP of
the year concept but I need to talk with folks over there more for ideas on
how they run it).

I like to think the Apache way is broad enough to allow for variations like
this to be explored in different projects while sharing what has worked and
not worked historically so that we can all build healthy OSS communities.

On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 8:46 AM Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 6, 2019 at 5:36 PM Sean Owen <sro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> You can tell there's a range of opinions here. I'm probably less
>> 'conservative' about adding committers than most on the PMC, right or
>> wrong, but more conservative than some at the ASF. I think there's
>> room to inch towards the middle ground here and this is good
>> discussion informing the thinking.
>>

> That's not actually my current reading of the Spark community.  My current
> reading based on the responses of Hyukjin, and Jungtaek, is that your
> community wouldn't take a non-coding committer no matter how clear their
> contributions are to the community, and that by extension such a person
> could never become a PMC member.
>
> If my reading is correct (and the sample size *is* still quite small, and
> only includes one PMC member), I see that as a serious problem.
>
> How do the other PMC members and community members see this?
>
> Best Regards,
> Myrle

Books (Learning Spark, High Performance Spark, etc.):
https://amzn.to/2MaRAG9  <https://amzn.to/2MaRAG9>
YouTube Live Streams: https://www.youtube.com/user/holdenkarau