On 12/9/05, Frank W. Zammetti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yeah, I forgot the debugger point :)
>
> Like I said, I've been coding *a lot* of years (25+ at this point)..
> granted, most of that wasn't Java, but still... I've become extremely
> intuitive in my debugging approach.  I don't say this with an ego...
> which is rare for me! :) ... but I can't tell you how many times someone
> has asked me to help debug something, and I'd look at the code for a
> little while and then say "ok, change X to Y and try it", and lo and
> behold that solves the problem, but then I can't explain why.

My turn to date myself, along with Frank. ;-)

In my first programming job, I wrote my code on coding sheets. When I was
done, those would go to a data entry group, who would type the code on to
punched cards. Then the cards would go to the sysops, who would schedule the
job. When the job completed, usually the next day, I would get a pile of
paper back. That edit /compile cycle alone taught me to be very, very
careful and deliberate when I write my code.

If something went wrong with my code, I got a 3 inch thick pile of paper on
my desk. That was a mainframe core dump. That was it. There was no debugger.
Heck, the machine didn't even have terminals. I had to figure out what was
wrong by looking through the core dump and matching it up with my code. That
experience, for me, was where I learned the skill that Frank mentions above
- to be able to look at the code and find the bug.

I won't say I never use a debugger, but it's been very rare, at least since
I started working in Java. In my C++ days, I used to spend many hours in a
debugger - often finding the hairy problems by reading through generated
assembly code rather than the C++ code itself. But somehow in Java I haven't
had the same need.

As for IDEs, I share many of Frank's opinions from his first post in this
thread. In my case, I use CodeWright rather than UltraEdit, and the
complaints around me are about Eclipse rather than RAD, but otherwise we
seem to be in similar situations. ;-)

I won't say I never use an IDE, either. If I need to do a bunch of
refactoring of Java code, I'll fire up Eclipse to do it. (I used IDEA for a
while, but my current company "standardised" on Eclipse, so there's less
pain in using that.) But it doesn't do much else for me that I can't do in
CodeWright. And frankly, these days, I probably spend more time writing
JavaScript and XML than I do Java, and Eclipse is pretty hopeless there.

Or maybe I'll claim that I use a UDE - CodeWright's tag line used to be "The
Universal Development Environment". ;-) Like UltraEdit, it's customisable up
the wazoo. Sadly, it was acquired by Borland not so long ago, so I fully
expect that it will go away soon, as have all of the other independent tools
I used to use that were acquired by Borland. ;-(

--
Martin Cooper

So, for me, 95% of the time, a debugger doesn't help me.  There have