This has been a topic I've been wondering about for a while: would it be possible to move to Java 5, then use a tool such as Retroweaver [1] to provide Java 1.4 support? I'm not prepared to completely abandon Java 1.4 users, but Bob does make some good points regarding the concern for falling too far behind.

Does anyone have any experience with such an approach?

Don

[1] http://retroweaver.sourceforge.net/

Bob Lee wrote:
Without saying whether we should support 1.4 or not, realistically
we're talking about Struts 2.0.0 in production some time after August
depending how long it takes users to port their applications, not
right now, at this moment, right? JDK 1.6 comes out in the fall at
which point 1.4 will be two major releases behind. We must embrace
1.5. We should keep in mind that:

- 1.4 support will add complexity and require more development time
- 1.4 will become less relevant pretty quickly
- 1.4 users have two other options: Struts 1.2 and WebWork 2.2

Bob