Initially, it was just knee-jerk backward-compatibility with the Ajax
theme. But, I think this is a good point. If we want extensions to the
base tags, we can always just drop in whatever other plugin we like.
Or just use Ajax "out of the box", without the plugin grease.

The name "core" came about when we started to discuss moving bits like
the tags into a plugin. Spring does something similar by combining the
most common JARs into a single spring.jar.

-Ted.

HTH, Ted <http://www.husted.com/ted/blog/>