So, to follow-up, the amended struts-core-plugins.jar list seems to be

  * annotations plugin (new)
  * codebehind plugin (including zero-config)
  * tags plugin (new)

I'd like to keep codebehind in the core, since I believe we are on
track for making XML-action-free Struts apps the recommended approach.

Though, when we say that, I don't think we need to excise the
struts.xml and go back to using struts.properties. Using the
struts.xml to set one-time global configuration parameters is very
different from using the struts.xml to describe all of the
application's actions.