On Mon, Feb 14, 2022 at 11:13 AM Ivan Zhakov <chemo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2022 at 01:39, Karl Fogel <kfo...@red-bean.com> wrote:
>> On 12 Feb 2022, Mark Phippard wrote:
>> In any case, the branch name doesn't matter too much here,
>> especially since it's going to get merged soon.  However, for the
>> user-facing name of the feature, we should pick a name based on
>> the essence of the feature, not on a not-yet-fully-implemented
>> optional enhancement to the feature, discussed further below.
>>
>> On 13 Feb 2022, Julian Foad wrote:
>> >That name came, as far as I am aware, from Evgeny's branch which
>> >implements the latter.
>> >
>> >This may be a case where the public facing name for the feature
>> >ought to differ from the internal development name.
>> >
>> >Any ideas for a good public name?
>> >
>> >Pristines on Subversion's demand?
>> >Dehydrated WC?
>>
>> I kind of like the dehydration/rehydration theme -- it's certainly
>> memorable!  Other possibilities:
>>
>>   - blob-optimized checkouts
>>
>>   - "blobtimized" checkouts (okay, kidding there... :-) )
>>
> I would suggest:
> - optional pristines

As I tried to explain before, I think it makes more sense (also to new
users who have never used pre-1.15) to try to expose the feature as a
knob for the pristine storing (or caching) strategy. Because,
effectively, the pristine store is just a cache, right? All the
information is there on the server, and the client simply duplicates /
caches that information locally to make some operations more
efficient. Up until know, the pristine caching strategy was fixed:
"cache them all, all the time, forever".

So now we're working on a very lazy or minimal type of pristine
caching strategy (or "no caching", if you will -- we might consider it
an implementation detail that a pristine is fetched in the "regular
pristine store" for a moment, and cleaned up after the operation -- it
might just as well have been spooled to a tmp location, or in memory,
or ... during the operation).

To expose this to users, I would take a step back, and open the door
for other types of pristine caching strategy in the future. So I'd
say:

"New feature in 1.15: Configurable Pristine Caching", or "Flexible
Pristine Caching" or "Pristine Caching Options". Where it was
previously a fixed strategy, you now have some choice. In 1.15 we
introduce the "lazy" (or "short-lived", or "minimal") pristine caching
strategy. Apart from that we still have the (default, old) "full" /
"complete" caching strategy. In the future we might introduce
additional (more flexible) strategies, such as those dictated by some
rules, potentially with a repos-side suggestion (like with
svn:auto-props).

Instead of taking about "Pristine Caching Strategy", we could also
talk about the "Pristine Strorage Strategy" or "Storing Strategy"
('storing' instead of 'fetching', as the former is the more permanent
effect; fetching might be seen as an implementation detail on what
subversion needs to do when it runs into a non-stored pristine).

--
Johan