Karl, thanks for bringing a user-focused perspective to the naming. In
Subversion's UI we will not necessarily expose any name for the feature,
but we might, e.g. in a configuration file or in help text. In
describing what's new in 1.15 people will certainly start using some
short name for the feature and it will be helpful if we pick a memorable
and user-comprehensible one to start with.

In this case the term "binary, large object" is an apt portrayal of the
main use case. (I'll set aside my distaste for such inelegant
backronyms.) However, the term is used (I think) primarily in software
developer circles, which covers a significant portion but perhaps not
vast majority of Subversion users. So it might not be the best.
Similarly, casual Subversion users don't really need to know the terms
"pristine" and "text base" before they become "power users", although if
they think about this feature at all then they will obviously become
aware of the concept, if not those names.

Johan, I like and agree with your perspective of this pristines
management as one aspect of caching repository content in general, with
scope for further variations. I am not sure if that is the best way to
present it to users at this stage. Perhaps this perspective fits better
in a "road map" that devs and users interested in further development
can read.

Ideas:

    - "Option to optimize a checkout for minimal disk space rather than
minimal network traffic."

    - "50% off. Unlimited offer. Buy it now. Shrink your checkouts to
half the size.*  (Small print: *Compared to our previous checkouts which
cost double their effective size. Network subscription required.)"

- Julian