On 08 Mar 2022, Daniel Shahaf wrote:
Hmm, I don't see where I was assuming that the pristine would be needed exactly once, though. Once the user has a local pristine (by whatever
means),

To be clear, we're only talking about pristines that libsvn_wc knows about, right? As opposed to Alice running «svn cat iota@BASE» and
saving the output somewhere.

Hmm, I don't think I understand the question here. Can you ask it with more details / context?

if she wants to keep that local pristine after committing its
corresponding working file, then she could do so or not do so, depending on whether she wants to continue paying the local storage cost for it.

How would Alice keep iota's pristine after committing iota? «svn commit
iota» deletes iota's pristine.

Like I said, I wasn't going into UI details. But if Subversion wants to offer a way for commit to keep the post-commit pristine around (in circumstances where that file would otherwise be pristine-less), it can do so. This wouldn't be for MVP, of course; I'm just saying it's a conceivable feature and maybe some day we'll offer it.

For now, the way Alice would keep an "informal pristine" would be simply manually copy the file. That's not a pristine in the full sense of the word, but it will serve for local diffs and reverts of course.

Best regards,
-Karl