Julian Foad wrote:
> Pristines (#525):
>  - #4888 authz denied during textbase sync
>    (an edge case issue, not sure if it's a blocker)
>  - #4889 per-WC config
>    (wanted)
>  - #4891 fix disabled tests
>    (a few different edge cases; much of the analysis is posted in the issue)
>
> Getting multi-wc-format ready for release (#4883):
>  - #4885 WC upgraded and not-upgraded notifications
>    (still open for some nice-to-haves, but probably done enough for MVP)
>  - #4886 config for default WC version for checkout & upgrade
>    ()
>  - #4887 clarify/unify option names for compatible-version
>    (perhaps change '--compatible-version' to '--wc-compatible-version'
> or '--min-compatible-client')
>  - API review; thread: "multi-wc-format review"
>    (state is APIs are mostly private and a bit messy; not clear what,
> if anything, we would want to change)

Further updates:

#4888: demoted to non-blocker
#4889: blocker, in progress
#4891: blocker, in progress (I've processed a bunch of the sub-issues in it)
#4885: done enough (now non-blocker)
#4886: not sure (currently marked non-blocker)
#4887: not sure (currently marked blocker)
API review: not sure
Merge to trunk: new thread "Pristines-on-demand: OK to merge to trunk?"

In #4891 "fix disabled tests", the remaining sub-issues don't look like
show-stoppers. Likely we will soon demote it to non-blocker.

Issue #4889 "per-WC config" is the subject of Johan's new dev@ post
"Pristines-on-demand=enabled == format 32?". We already concurred that
it's wise to decouple "pristines-on-demand mode is enabled in this WC"
from "the WC format is (at least) 32 so can support that mode".
<https://subversion.apache.org/issue/4889>. This may be considered
higher priority than fixing the remaining tests. I previously drafted a
proof-of-concept for such a config setting. I'm going to spend two or
three hours and see if I can complete an acceptable minimal version of it.

This (#4889) conceptually also relates to #4886 "config for default WC
version for checkout & upgrade"; I am not yet sure if both are
separately necessary.

Two other issues Karl and I discussed were:

* regression tests:
  -> current status is devs need to run test suite both with and without
the new '--wc-format-version=1.15' knob;
  -> this adds another knob to the several existing knobs;
  -> the resulting exponential increase in test runs is a concern but
not a new problem in itself;
  -> we should make build bots run that combination.
  -> Filed as #4898 "Pristines-on-demand: make buildbots test it"

* simplified user documentation:
  -> not sure, maybe existing is sufficient initially (just needs to be
put where users can find it?);
  -> maybe someone else will be able to rewrite into a simpler, more
digestible form?