Like Christian, I'm +0 to this idea. In other words, I think it's probably a
good idea, but don't have strong feelings either way ;-)

The main advantage that I can see to doing this is that it may make core
development a bit easier, by not having to run the integration tests all the
time (incidentally: is there an easy way to skip the integration tests?).

Sorry if I am saying something obvious but:
* 'mvn clean package' will just stop before verify, hence not triggering the maven-failsafe-plugin * 'mvn clean verify -DskipTests' will avoid integration test execution but will start the environment (including Tomcat) anyway

Alternatively, you should comment the <executions> element of the cargo-maven2-plugin in core/pom.xml AND pass -DskipTests We can, of course, define a specific profile in core/pom.xml with these settings.

Francesco, do you have any specific objections to this proposal, or is it just
that you are not convinced of the arguments in favour?

I am
 1. not convinced of some pros (speeding build time? With <3 mins?)
 2. worried about fragmentation
3. not convinced of releasing Maven artifacts containing test classes as main content: what's the 'src/test' directory or the 'tests' classifier for, then?

Anyway, if anyone can enlighten me about (2) and (3), I can be +0 as well.

IMO it's not worth the hassle in arguing over this minor issue. If the "pro"
argument I mentioned above is not agreed by everyone, then I propose we -1 this proposal
and move on.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/