While there may be an interest in making quality changes to improve
the layout and content of the site, the immediate need is to migrate
off of CMS, for which INFRA has discontinued (or is discontinuing)
support.

I spent a few hours today converting all the Markdown over to Jekyll
today... and only have 2 small things left that I'm still working on
are the things that were previously being done in CMS's Perl code:
1. ensure syntax highlighting for code blocks is working for when code
blocks are pulled in from the main thrift repo, and
2. fix the sitemap (I have a flattened version in Jekyll, but it
doesn't show the hierarchy).

The way I have it set up is complete with build instructions for
testing locally, GitHub Actions CI builds for pull requests,
configuration for INFRA's builders to automatically create a staging
website whenever commits are merged to the main branch, and a
convenience script to quickly publish from the asf-staging branch to
the asf-site branch (or you can just merge the commit in git
yourself). The complete lifecycle, from contributor pull request to
publication is taken into consideration.

The code so far (minus the bits I'm still finishing up) is at
https://github.com/ctubbsii/thrift-website
Of course, the Thrift PMC is not obligated to use what I've done, but
it will get them off of CMS immediately if they want to use it.