> I'm wondering what the wider community thinks about this change and
> whether or not we should consider reverting it for Tomcat 8.5.x.

8.5.x has been out for 10 months and stable for 7. It is probably still
early enough that we are seeing issues from the early adopters. We
might, therefore, see more issues moving forwards.

This change is listed in the change-log for 8.5.0.

The root cause is non-specification compliant clients. I generally don't
view specification non-compliance in third party code a good reason to
make a change in Tomcat.

Overall I am -0 on reverting the change for 8.5.x.